Omis is a fantastic destination for a yacht charter adventure along the stunning Adriatic coastline. Explore and relax in this charming fishing town with its culture, history, and breathtaking scenery.
Where is Omis?
This small town is at the mouth of the Cetina River, which flows into the Adriatic Sea. This location offers breathtaking views of both the mountains and the sea. It is a perfect spot for anyone looking for a luxurious yacht charter destination with a blend of stunning natural beauty.
The city of Split is located just 20 kilometers to the west. It is home to several UNESCO World Heritage sites, such as Diocletian’s Palace and the ancient ruins of Salona. Also, the islands of Brac and Hvar are within easy reach and make for perfect day trips.
What to Expect
Omis is a picturesque coastal town between the mountains and the Adriatic Sea. It’s a hidden gem of Croatia that boasts natural beauty, rich history, and warm hospitality. Omis offers a unique experience different from popular destinations such as Dubrovnik or Split.
Featuring rugged cliffs, crystal-clear water, and sandy beaches, you’re sure to be awestruck by the dramatic landscape. Omis dates back to the Roman Empire. You can see a medieval fortress still at the top of the hill overlooking the town.
You’ll also experience the charm and warmth of the locals, who are proud of their heritage and always welcome visitors. The town is small enough to explore on foot yet big enough to offer a range of amenities and activities.
Omis promises an enchanting and luxurious experience for those seeking a more off-the-beaten-path adventure.
Places to Visit
Here are some places to visit during your luxury yacht charter in Omis:
- Fortica Fortress – Located atop a hill, the fortress offers panoramic views of the Adriatic Sea, the town, and the nearby mountains.
- St. Michael’s Church – Built in the 17th century, St. Michael’s Church is a beautiful example of Baroque architecture. Its interior is adorned with stunning frescoes and statues.
- Cetina River Canyon – Take a break from the sea and explore the breathtaking Cetina River Canyon. The canyon offers opportunities for hiking, rafting, and canoeing. You can also visit the Radman Mills, an old watermill complex that has been turned into a tourist attraction.
- Cetina River Spring. Cetina River Spring is better known as the Eye of the Earth. When viewed from above, it looks like a big, blue eye.
Things to Do
Here are some of the top things to do in Omis:
- Rafting: Omis is on the Cetina River, providing the perfect opportunity to enjoy a thrilling rafting experience. Rafting tours can be arranged easily, and it’s a great way to explore the scenic landscape of Omis.
- Zip Line: The Omis Zip Line offers a unique, thrilling experience that will make your heart race. You’ll fly over the canyon and the river, giving you breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
- Hiking: Omis is located at the foothills of the Dinara mountain range, making it an ideal hiking spot. You can explore the nearby mountains and the beautiful countryside that surrounds Omis.
- Cultural Experience: Visit the Mirabella Fortress and discover the city’s past. Or, attend a Summer Festival to experience local music and cuisine.
The beaches in Omis are unlike most Croatian beaches and merit a separate section!
Omis stands out in Croatia as a haven for sandy beaches, a rarity in the country known for its rocky coastlines. You will find various small, secluded coves and expansive shores. Some beaches suit families seeking shallow waters, while some have deeper areas for avid swimmers.
Nearby towns of Nemira, Stanici, Ruskamen, Lokva Rogoznica, Medici, Mimice, Marusici, and Pisak also offer picturesque shores. Omis itself boasts the expansive Velika Plaza, a sandy beach spanning over 700 meters. It is a great beach for families and offers activities like volleyball and windsurfing.
You will want to take some time to immerse yourself in the culinary delights of Omis. This town has many restaurants, wine cellars, and cafe bars. Discover the essence of the Mediterranean through delectable cuisine featuring rich olive oil, fresh seafood, locally grown vegetables, and wines.
- Restaurant Bastion: This charming restaurant is in a historic building within the old town walls. They offer a relaxed atmosphere and a diverse menu. Enjoy their seafood specialties and panoramic views of the Cetina River.
- Restaurant Brzet: Restaurant Brzet offers a beautiful seaside setting and serves a variety of fresh seafood and Croatian delicacies. The restaurant’s terrace provides stunning views of the Adriatic Sea, creating a perfect dining experience.
- Konoba Gusti. This highly-rated traditional restaurant serves local cuisine and European and Mediterranean foods.
- Pod Odrnom. Pod Odrnom is a family-run restaurant established in 1967. They serve Dalmatian and Mediterranean cuisine using local products. Enjoy their large selection of Croatian wines or have a handcrafted cocktail from the bar.
OMIS Sample Itinerary
Here is a sample itinerary that allows you to spend extra time in Omis.
Day 1: Arrival in Split – Omis
Arrive in Split and embark on a short journey to the enchanting town of Omis. Explore the historic streets, visit the ancient fortress, and soak in the breathtaking views of the Adriatic Sea. Enjoy a relaxing evening by the beach and indulge in the local cuisine at one of the charming restaurants.
Day 2: Omis – Cetina River Adventure
Embark on an exciting adventure along the beautiful Cetina River. Enjoy thrilling activities like rafting or kayaking, surrounded by stunning natural landscapes. Immerse yourself in the pristine beauty of the river canyon.
Day 3: Omis – Beach Day
Spend a leisurely day enjoying the sun, sand, and sea on the beautiful beaches of Omis. Take refreshing dips in the crystal-clear waters, and savor beachside refreshments at the cozy cafes. Unwind and rejuvenate amidst the idyllic coastal scenery.
Day 4: Omis – Day Trip to Split
Embark on a day trip to the vibrant city of Split. Explore Diocletian’s Palace and wander through the bustling streets of the Old Town.
Day 5: Omis – Hiking in the Mosor Mountains
Take a scenic hike in the breathtaking Mosor Mountains near Omis. Trek through lush forests, admire panoramic views of the Adriatic coastline and immerse yourself in the tranquil beauty of nature.
Day 6: Omis – Dalmatian Islands Excursion
Embark on an island-hopping adventure and explore the captivating Dalmatian islands near Omis. Visit the islands of Brac or Hvar, known for their stunning beaches, charming towns, and vibrant culture. Enjoy leisurely walks, indulge in local delicacies, and soak in the island vibes.
Day 7: Omis – Zip Line Adventure
Get your adrenaline pumping with a thrilling zip line adventure in the rugged surroundings of Omis. Soar above the canyons and rivers, experiencing the exhilarating feeling of flying. Enjoy the stunning views and embrace the sense of adventure in this adrenaline-fueled activity.
Day 8: Departure from Split
Bid farewell to enchanting Omis as you depart from Split.